Thursday, January 8, 2009

hello goodbye

I saw my family doctor today for the last time. He's been my doctor for many, many years and been through a fair bit together in some ways. The doctor - patient relationship can sometimes be a funny little dance ... a mix of trust, respect, judgment, caring ... I've been lucky to have him as my doctor and hope that the new M.D. I hook up with in Ottawa will be good as well.
I told him that this would likely be the last time I'd see him, as I was moving out to Ottawa at the end of the month. We chatted a bit about how nice it was out there... he has a daughter there and has been a couple of times. He has a warm smile and shook my hand, wished me all the best and said he was a little bit jealous. He's been a very good doctor and I'll miss him.
The good- byes are now starting to get to me a little. Yesterday, I saw my boss at Roadshow for what might be the last time as well. We also talked for a while ... he smiled, and said some very nice things about me; told me to keep in touch and wished me all the best.
A couple of weeks ago I said bye to my co-workers at school, and at that time felt more excited and focused on my upcoming Caribbean Christmas trip; but I know I will miss them as well ... there were several very caring, talented people that worked there, and they will not be forgotten.
The other night at a dinner with some good friends, I realized that I really treasured time with them, and that gatherings like that would probably be less likely after that night. It's not often you can connect with many people on such a level where a shared past bonds you to such a trusting, loving level of warmth. A friendship where you all are so comfortable with each other that you know you enjoy the opportunity to spend time together, and it will always be fun and friendly.
There are others here that I will remember fondly. I am lucky enough to have many happy memories of several wonderful people that I have come to know. We cross paths with others, and sometimes we are fortunate enough to share part of the journey ... these people enrich us and become part of us ... they help to make us who we are.
I know I'll be back to visit from time to time ... Janice and I have friends and Family here, and will be returning once or twice a year to see them; but there is no denying that there are a few folks here I will miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment