Saturday, January 23, 2010

nothing lasts forever

In our lives we can find many examples of devices that assist us, entertain us and give our modern world access to information in a variety of forms. These appliances can be wonderful tools of productivity, and can perform a variety of tasks much better than ever before.

I recognized the potentials of information technology long ago, and remember seeing the typewriter's demise. I have come to know that computers are excellent for managing information, but one never really knows when a computer may stop functioning.

This week my poor old IBM T30 Thinkpad Laptop died. It was not a devastating loss .... I know enough to store important data in other places, and I have more than one computer.

This was actually an opportunity.

I have been wanting to leave the world of Microsoft dominated machines behind, and explore the world of Apple for some time now, so I got a MacBook.

I have to say ... so far, I have no complaints. Right out of the box, it's easy to use, intuitive, slick, clean, speedy, quiet ...

I will be installing windows on it too, for the two or three programs that I will still need, but my goal is to phase out all things Windows based in time.

Nothing lasts forever, and I know enough not to let my possessions own me.

It's only stuff, and it should enhance and enrich our lives,
not be a source of frustration and annoyances.

I look forward to my new Apple adventure ...

No comments:

Post a Comment