Saturday, September 19, 2009

these are a few of my favourite things

Today, Janice and I were out and about on our bikes, and we had stopped so she could go into a store for moment, when I found myself looking adoringly at my bike. Cycling has brought me much pleasure over the years, and I am glad my Oryx is with me here now ... showing me Ottawa and all it's beauty. My bike helps keep me healthy and active, and I'd have to say it's one of my top three possessions.

About four years ago I found myself at a crossroads. No longer did I have a wife, two kids and a dog to cart around, and it was silly that I still had my mini-van. It was time to find a more appropriate vehicle. After shopping around, I ended up getting my little Aveo. It's great on gas, peppy and can haul a lot more than you might think. My little yellow car was a good move, and I'd have to say it's probably in my top three as well.

I have always believed that staying organized helps one avoid stress. If I look back over the years, I can see a progression ... pocket calendar / address books, to data bank watches, to PDAs.
I use my personal digital assistant daily ... to store dates, times, addresses, pictures. It plays games, videos and music, it's a photo album, note taker, document storage device. My Palm TX keeps me on track every day, and I'd be lost without it.

I try not to be too materialistic. I've come to learn that stuff really isn't that important in the bigger picture. That being said, I am grateful for some of the wonderful things in my life that improve things for me. We live in a time where technology empowers us, and I know I am lucky to be able to be living here now, enjoying all the things life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment