Thursday, September 2, 2010

the musical universe

When my Palm personal Digital Assistant died a few months ago, I remember how hard I looked to find a replacement. Alas, I was forced to find a new device to manage my calendar, contacts, lists and media. After some research I picked up my iPod Touch.

I have to say - I'm really impressed. It does everything I need it to do, and well. Initially, I wasn't crazy about having to change devices, but now I am glad I was forced to make the change.

Technology does indeed improve, folks. I've seen wonderful improvements, and while it may not always be easy to change, upgrade and learn how to use new devices - in the end it will always be part of the tech landscape ... and we have to just suck it up, read the manuals and learn to embrace the new.


These days I use it to surf the net, view video, listen to my music library, enjoy streaming internet radio ... there are PLENTY of free apps to help me do all I want to do. I love my iPod.


I know that Apple has got a new model coming out soon, and it too will have more to offer. That is the nature of technology - there are always newer, better devices on the horizon. I'm in no rush to upgrade ... my iPod keeps me organized and entertained, and I will use it until it fails.


I have had a burning, hot, passionate love affair with music for a very long time ... and it is one of those passions that seems to remain strong with time. I still have my vinyl LPs downstairs, a few cassette tapes, and several shelves of compact discs. You can imagine that with over 30 years of DeeJaying behind me, I have a respectable music library.

Currently, I am contemplating relegating my CDs to the basement. I've been importing them to my iPod, and can see that physical multimedia seems to on the way out in many respects.

Most of the movies and music I play these days are digital. They are on hard drives, USB sticks and other devices. I am not quite ready to completely part with my CDs yet ... there are still situations where I use them, although fewer and fewer.

As I have been digitizing my music library, I have come across many forgotten musical gems. It's nice to rediscover some of the music that I haven't heard for some time. My music collection is decent, but I know that the musical universe is immense. There is so much excellent music in the world, I know that this is an ongoing project, with no foreseeable end in sight.

I love rock, jazz, blues ... and doubt I could ever be forced to pick just one as my favourite. As time goes on, I see that there is so much more to discover and enjoy. The joy of music continues to inspire and elevate the human spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment