Sunday, February 14, 2010

twenty years ago

I am celebrating an anniversary ... it was 20 years ago that I started working in Education.

It's a little weird in a way - I hated school. I floundered academically, and remember struggling, finding it all truly horrible. It was a fairly painful time in many ways.

After leaving school, I had no idea of what I wanted to do. I went from job to job trying different things, hoping to find my calling. I was a carpet cleaner for a while, vacuum cleaner salesman, taxi driver, courier, an assistant manager at a restaurant, newspaper sales regional representative, A Theatre Production Assistant ...

I have to admit ... I have never been too money hungry. I always believed that it was more important to enjoy what you did than to be doing a job because the pay was good.

When I saw the position for an Educational Assistant in the paper, I thought it would be worth exploring. I had experience as a youth help line volunteer, and felt good about the work I had done with that organization over the last couple of years, so I thought this might also be rewarding.

It was ... over the years I have enjoyed working with children and young adults, in many different capacities. My experiences have helped me grow and improve. Through the years I have been fortunate to learn much more, and become an effective, positive role model in the schools.

I have been an instructor for Continuing Education, teaching various computer courses; I have been a Computer Lab Administrator, helping to set up and maintain computers as their popularity increased throughout schools.

In many ways, my experiences as a student in school have ended up helping me be more effective in my job. I can relate to students that are struggling, troubled and feeling lost.

School is not for everyone. Sometimes it can be like trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. There are more important things than school ... character, intention, citizenship, perspective. Academics are only part of the picture.

I am proud to work in Education, and continue to grow and learn as the years pass. I look forward to the challenges ahead, whatever they may be ...



No comments:

Post a Comment