Tuesday, August 11, 2009

the grass is always greener ...

I've never enjoyed mowing the lawn. I've always thought of it as a waste of time and energy. I am not a big fan of the typical North American yard expectations ... most people seem to have the mindset that grass is a standard expectation in one's yard.

From what I know of grass, it's mainly ornamental ... and doesn't really serve any other practical purpose. We maintain our lawns because we always have ... it's the norm.

I believe in diversity and creativity. I love seeing yards that have alternative ideas in ornamentation ... using rocks, plants, lights and fountains. When tastefully done, they look great and often require little or no maintenance.

In my last house, I was expected to cut my lawn in the back yard AND the grass between the sidewalk and the curb beside my house ... not my property, the city's, yet I was responsible for keeping the grass mowed.

In Winnipeg it was easier to maintain a decent lawn ... here in Ottawa we now have the strictest chemical laws in North America, AND there are these burrowing creatures called Grubs that make the lawns very lumpy and bumpy.

Some day I'd love to have a no - maintenance yard, but for now I will have to suck it up and cut the grass every 2 weeks. For consolation, I remind myself that I am lucky. I am lucky to be living here with a lawn to cut. I am grateful to have my cordless electric mower and the opportunity to get a little exercise and sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment